default smtpd

talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Wed Sep 8 15:02:25 PDT 2004

George Georgalis <george at xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi all,

> It seems every Linux/BSD has reoccuring wars with what MTA to use by
> default, everyone has their own ideas and licenses. For me, one of the
> first things I do with a box is run my scripts to rip out the existing
> smtpd and install my own preference.

> While a mail transfer mechanism is pretty much required with a base
> install, I don't think a full blown mail transfer agent is. I propose
> a default simple smtp forwarder which will listen to 127.0.0.1:25 and
> deliver locally or forward the connection to a local or isp smtpd, as
> configured.

As you say this is a recurrent subject on such mailing lists :-(
The Debian distro has a nice way to solve this problem. They have a metatarget
for a generic MTA that you are required to fulfill. But you can fulfill it
with the MTA of your choice, exim, sendmail, postfix, etc. as you like.
As soon as you install one of these mailers the metatarget is fulfilled
and the sytem is happy. By the way i think that /usr/ports/mail/ssmtp does
what you want, but i have never tried it. For my usage, postfix is so easy
to configure that i don't care it can do more than strictly necessary.

--
Michel Talon