memory limits

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Sun Sep 5 16:32:24 PDT 2004

On 06.09.2004, at 00:09, Adrian Nida wrote:
I'm running a very memory intensive php 5.0 script through apache2 on
a recent
DragonFly build (Sept 1).  My problem is that I'm running into some OS
limit or
something.  I'm assuming this because I have 2G physical RAM and 4G
swap, but
apache runs out of memory waaaay before then (maybe 500MB) even though
top
reports 1400M Free.

I've tried setting datasize to 'infinity' using `limits`, but that
didn't stick
(I ran it again, and it still said datasize was limited to 524288).  I
also
tried to adjust kern.ipc.shmmax to 6GB using `sysctl`, but it didn't
make a
difference.  FYI, that variable's upper limit is 2147483647.

What can I do to give apache2 access to all the addressable memory on
this
system?
Do we have PAE? If not, can a 32 bit processor even use 2+4GB? I recall
that some year(s) ago, people were adviced not to use more than 4GB
totall memory on FreeBSD. Could be wrong, though.

cheers
  simon
--
/"\