The dream platforms for Dragonfly?

George Georgalis george at galis.org
Sat Sep 25 15:50:10 PDT 2004

On Sat, Sep 25, 2004 at 01:04:19PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>     and a couple of Shuttle SN41G2 based AMD Athlon XP 2600+
>    based cpus.
>
>    All the DragonFly production machines, except LEAF, are now running
>    on SN41G2/XP-2600+'s with lots of disk and 1G of DDR 333 memory.

hey, that's what I run, accept 2500+ / 333 bus, got it little over a year ago.

>    They seem give the best bang for the buck, far faster (and run cooler)
>    then P4 celeron boxes yet not overpowered for their designated tasks.

yep.

>	* Kingston PC2700 DDR333 512MB		$90	x 2	(up to 2)

One of these will do...

1GB DDR RAM 400MHZ PC3200
NAME BRAND - p/n AN4064U/1GB/Q2D 	  $168.00
http://www.18004memory.com/category.asp?catid=12&subcatid=1203

>    more importantly, they did a real good job on the internal layout.  The
>    CD/HD bay is top-loaded and easy to pull out, and the cable routing is
>    reasonable.  There is room for a CD and two HDs (though I will note that
>    packing that much junk into a cube requires that you set the Fan to max).

I have a SCSI vs 1000 eth and my second drive rarely spins up -- my
fan speed almost never goes above low. the heat pipe system is very
cool. Dimensions under 8" x 8" x 12" are a nice perk too.

Another setup I have is based on the via 10000M boards, with an SATA
card, in an "ITX-PC Aluminum 200W Silent Cube" -- aluminum, same
dimensions as the Shuttle. Very quiet and cool, if 1Ghz is enough
(despite the spec, 2 disks + CD will fit in there, if you mount the top
disk 2" back and use only 2 on it).

http://idotpc.com/TheStore/Desktop/745Spec.asp?Product.id=745&Cate.id=14&Product.status=green

The idotpc folks are quite nice too.

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at xxxxxxxxx