[Re: failure notice spam]

Simon 'corecode' Schubert corecode at fs.ei.tum.de
Wed Sep 15 04:14:20 PDT 2004

On 15.09.2004, at 07:37, Matthew Dillon wrote:
    Bleh.  Ok, I've taken care of this.    bestserv will now ignore any
    email From: mailer-daemon@  (aka spammers who use our list
addresses
    as their From:).  I'll add others if they come up.

    I think I have a solution to catch the mime-encoded spam, but allow
    list users to still post mime-encoded files.  I haven't
implemented it
    yet but I think the solution is to simply require that people who
post
    mime-encoded stuff include a special header with a password.  The
    password won't be secret or anything, we would publish it on our
site,
    but spambots aren't going to bother generating it so we would be
    protected :-).
I'm not sure whether this is a good idea. I for my part can't add
headers in Apple Mail (at least I don't know how)

If you decide to block for attachments, please do only so for
multipart/alternative with included text/html or such. At least allow
multipart/signed (pgp) and text/plain and/or text/patch (or how it is
called). You know what I'm getting at.

cheers
  simon
--