default smtpd

Martin P. Hellwig mhellwig at xs4all.nl
Wed Sep 8 13:08:28 PDT 2004

Peter Kadau wrote:
simple smtp forwarder which will listen to 127.0.0.1:25 and
deliver locally or forward the connection to a local or isp smtpd, as
configured.

This is what you would need. Not everyone would have similar situations
to you. People may need more options than what a 'simple' smtp forwarder
can offer.

Seconded.

Call me oldfashioned, but I think any unixish OS
should have every essential internet services aboard,
and imho this includes mail.
Reoccuring debates shouldn't stop shipping those.
I agree on that one.
I briefly looked at the other MTA's but the difference with the
"standard" seem to me to minimal for me to go through the time and
trouble to learn a other one.
If at some time a other much superior MTA gets shipped with DF, well no
problem then I'll learn that one but as long as it isn't needed why
change a winning team?

One of the pro's of BSD is that there is a well maintained base of
common services with good interoperability out of the box.
I'll even wouldn't mind if there put a SQL db in the source like
PostgreSQL.

--
mph