memory limits

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Sep 5 23:22:05 PDT 2004

:Simon 'corecode' Schubert wrote:
:
:>
:> Do we have PAE?
:PAE would be nice :) I have 5 gig ram Opteron machine to play/work with :)
:>If not, can a 32 bit processor even use 2+4GB? I recall
:> that some year(s) ago, people were adviced not to use more than 4GB
:> totall memory on FreeBSD. Could be wrong, though.
:BTX problems probably. If you can go further, kernel will just ignore
:things over 4gigs.
:
:Toma¾

    I'm not planning on adding PAE for 32 bit kernels, but we certainly
    are planning to do a 64 bit port (aka opteron/amd64) and that will
    of course not have any of the limitations of a 32 bit address space.

    It's going to be at least ~6 months, though, at a guess.  I am doing
    the VFS work first.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>