trouble getting memory and swap info

Sten Spans sten at blinkenlights.nl
Thu Oct 28 02:30:21 PDT 2004

On Thu, 28 Oct 2004, Joerg Sonnenberger wrote:

On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 02:17:03AM +0200, Sten Spans wrote:
On fbsd4 and probably dragonfly a program needs
setgid kmem for certain memory statistics, which is
why top works and gkrellm doesn't.
If you have details to which statistics are only available via kmem
and not by sysctl, tell me. We can easily add sysctl handlers for them
and remove the setgid kmem requirement from top and other such tools.
I don't like the idea of userland reading kernel memory directly at all.
The main bugbear is kvm_getswapinfo aka :

kvm_getswapinfo(kd, swapary, 1, 0);
data->swap_stats[0] = pagetob(swapary[0].ksw_total);
data->swap_stats[1] = pagetob(swapary[0].ksw_used);
data->swap_stats[2] = pagetob(swapary[0].ksw_total - swapary[0].ksw_used);
( this comes from my trivial tcp system statistics program,
  http://viewcvs.blinkenlights.nl/index.cgi/monitor/ )
--
Sten Spans
"There is a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."