More ramblings from the annoying route engine guy...

Pete pete at uberwald.co.uk
Fri Oct 22 06:54:37 PDT 2004

Matthew Dillon wrote:
:So, I've been slowly making progress getting my route schema working
:within LWIP.  This is not the way to learn C.  In any case, after
:chatting on #dragonflybsd I found out that many people are
:interested in something that rolls vrrp/carp/etc functionality in
:with loadbalancing, so loosing an interface doesn't drop a box, etc.
:I just happen to have been spending the last few days pounding on
:Extreme's and wonder if their schema could be of use.
:
:Extreme's are an entirely virtual interface driven system.  For
:simplicity they call their interface's vlans, although they have
:nothing to 802.1q.  IP interfaces are defined by individual vlans.
:These vlans are then bound to one or more physical interfaces.  This
:lets you literally bind say, 192.168.1.1/24 to 4 gigabit ports.  It
:might be cpu intensive, but instead of layering on carp/vrrp could
:this sort of schema work and allow even greater flexibility?
:
:Joshua Coombs
Hi, would this not be covered fairly well by a combination of Link
Aggregation (802.ad) Spanning Tree along with carp. That way you have
your 4 gige ports in a aggregate group with a second redundant aggregate
group for failover. Then having another layer of failover with carp, or
something along those lines. It would need some modifications to the
code but i think less than the schema you envisage.

Pete