SATA

George Georgalis george at galis.org
Sat Nov 20 21:17:07 PST 2004

On Sat, Nov 20, 2004 at 10:45:25AM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:

>:Sascha Wildner wrote:
>:> Hello,
>:>
>:> what's the state of SATA support in DFly? For my SATA disk I get:
>:>
>:> ad4: DMA limited to UDMA33, non-ATA66 cable or device
>:> ad4: 190782MB <WDC WD2000JD-55HBB0> [387621/16/63] at ata2-master UDMA33
>:>
>:
>:This may not strictly be a SATA problem. I've been having that error message this
>:week with a 30gb PATA drive, though it only started after a BIOS upgrade to my mobo
>:which added SATA features. This problem also causes a read error "resetting device"
>:message to show up during normal disk activity, and a far less frequent reset because
>:of a write error.
>
>    You can ignore the cable warning for the SATA drivers, it's because right
>    now the ATA driver is not making the distinction and probing a bit that
>    is not relevant to SATA.  The speed is also not relevant, you will get
>    the full speed out of it.
>
>    Re: your occassional read and write errors.  I tracked Jonathon
>    McKitrick's remaining problems to his clock going crazy and so I am also
>    going to ask you to monitor your clock too.
>
>    So, run that ATA Patch #6 I posted yesterday, and also run the clock
>    munging detector patch 'Patch to detect 8254 timer munging in BIOS
>    calls...'.   I would like to commit the ATA and the timer stuff tomorrow
>    (hopefully I can run down Andreas's 1-hour-off report today).

I tried installing on a new sata this evening but didn't finish due to
UDMA33...  Tomorrow afternoon is the earliest i can try again, but I too
will give ATA Patch #6 a try:

http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/mailarchive/kernel/2004-11/msg00233.html

// George

--
George Georgalis, systems architect, administrator Linux BSD IXOYE
http://galis.org/george/ cell:646-331-2027 mailto:george at xxxxxxxxx