apt-get

Bill Huey (hui) billh at gnuppy.monkey.org
Mon May 31 18:51:21 PDT 2004

On Tue, Jun 01, 2004 at 01:41:24AM -0000, Andreas Hauser wrote:
> billh wrote @ Mon, 31 May 2004 15:04:25 -0700:
>
> > You still have a somewhat hackish dependency debugger in *BSD packaging
> > systems. You have portupgrade, which only kind of resolves these dependency
> > often leaving random stuff behind, while in contrast, I can full back out
> > dpkgs and reinstall them at will. It maintains a DB of files installed
> > in a package, permits file ownership querying, etc...
>
> man pkg_which
>
> The pkg tools can do most (all?) the things dpkg can.
> Your knowledge of both seems rather small.

That's ridiculous. Idiotic ego driven attacks doesn't change the fact that
the BSD packaging system is at best antiquated and ancient. I don't know
how people deal with it on a daily basis.

Note also that your above comment doesn't directly refute any of the
previous claims about how non-scalable/half-broken it currently is, nor
any previous points made by previous pro-dpkg posters.

Give it up dude.

bill