apt-get

Gabriel Ebner ge at gabrielebner.at
Mon May 31 06:06:09 PDT 2004

Hello,

Rahul Siddharthan wrote:
> Related to that, apt-get can handle multiple versions of the same
> package;

Really?  Then could you explain to me why debian has packages like libgtk1.2
and libgtk2.0-0 if it can handle multiple versions of the same package
simultanousely?

> FreeBSD ports, as they stand, can't, without ugly hacks like
> creating a differently-named port to live in a different subdirectory
> of the ports tree.

Neither can apt-get/dpkg.  Portage seems to be the only packaging system
that is able to have multiple versions of the same package in portage
and/or installed at the same time.

        Gabriel.

--
Gabriel Ebner - reverse "ta.renbeleirbag at eg"