first release date

esmith esmith at patmedia.net
Fri May 28 21:58:20 PDT 2004

Matthew Dillon wrote:

:Yes, late in the month.  Would end-of-year may be feasible for
:VFS/packaging?  That's a question for the folks working on it, which may be
:better asked on, say, July 1st.
    I've been thinking about packaging seriously for the last few days and
    the more I think about it, the more I think we should just port Debian's
    apt-get, enforce a multi-installed-version capability (e.g. for libraries),
    and then focus on bringing patches into that framework.
    We'll definitely not have a packaging system in the first release, but
    I think having something by the end of the year is doable (and a good
    goal).

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Yeah, there is no reason why a package system can't be just another
user-land application and still achieve the goals desired. I'll write a
system, and if you like it, you can have it.

Beyond the stated feature goals on the DragonFly web page, if anyone
wants to suggest desirable features, please do so.