New ISO available / ...

walt wa1ter at myrealbox.com
Sun May 2 04:44:29 PDT 2004

Garance A Drosihn wrote:
I never got GRUB to boot FreeBSD
either, even though I followed instructions which claimed they would
work for FreeBSD...
GRUB works great for me.  The relevant parts of my grub.conf
(AKA menu.lst in older versions of grub):
title DragonflyBSD
root (hd0,1,a)
kernel /boot/loader
title FBSD5
root (hd0,2,a)
kernel /boot/loader
Note that the 'kernel' for both dfbsd and fbsd is actually
/boot/loader and not the real kernel (as in linux.)  This
difference is a common source of confusion with GRUB.
The ideal way to learn GRUB is to install it on a floppy
disk first and use that to boot with until you are confident
you have it configured properly, then install it on the
hard drive.  You can also use the GRUB boot floppy to boot
almost any machine when you get in trouble, so it's worth
doing just for that reason alone.
BTW I've never run into any 'geometry' problems with GRUB
even though I ignore the whole geometry issue entirely by
using sector numbers instead of CHS in partition tables
and disk labels.  Maybe I'm just lucky.