XFree86 4.4?

Bill Huey (hui) billh at gnuppy.monkey.org
Fri Mar 19 00:31:56 PST 2004

On Wed, Mar 17, 2004 at 03:14:19PM -0800, Matthew Dillon wrote:
> :I know this might start a religious war, but are there any intentions of
> :importing XFree86 4.4?  Or what are the plans for the whole XFree86 fiasco?
> :
> :--James
>
>     Well, at the moment we are relying on FreeBSD to generate the base
>     port for any updates so we here at DragonFly will happily sit back
>     and relax in the stands with our popcorn and softdrinks and let the
>     graphics people duke it out in the ring.

Not to get too political, it's important to support a progressive group that's
really trying to push badly needed design level changes in such an important
project. I'm specifically referring to Keith Packards work with the overall
architecture in X, xcl/xcb, etc... which is close to Apple's OS X rendering
system conceptually.

That kind of support would differentiate dfBSD from other projects in that it
would push it to more of a cutting edge mold with regard to the overall
position in the BSD community, more of a full picture of how the systems is
put together. BSDs are pretty much biased toward kernel development not the
system as a whole. Having one of the only packages available in the BSD for
Xorg, would encourage the use of it by X developer (feeeback from and active
user pool) for development, as well as deliver newer X drivers, etc...  to
the general community via those hot ISOs that come out regularly.

Something to think about with regard to promotion and technical research
as it pertains to general open source technical development.

Google for "xcl" and "xcb" just for introductory papers on the latter...

Ok, back to work now. :)

bill