Converting FBSD installation to DFBSD?

James Frazer jfrazer at ieee.org
Sat Mar 20 14:01:43 PST 2004

Just a question regarding the instructions.

Is there no need to shutdown into single user mode to installworld anymore?

--James

David Rhodus wrote:

On Mar 19, 2004, at 9:57 PM, walt wrote:

I have a machine with a little-used FBSD-4.9 installation which I
wouldn't mind sacrificing to try out DFBSD.
So, I was wondering if I could just cvsup new DFBSD sources to
replace the FBSD sources and proceed to compile the new system
that way.
Will a FBSD kernel run executables which are compiled for BFBSD,
I suppose is the obvious question.  Will the installworld
die in the middle when some critical bit of userland gets
suddenly replaced?
Everything works fine if you follow the instructions
on the website.
http://www.dragonflybsd.org/docs/upgrade-freebsd.cgi
-DR