usbd doesn't trigger "detach" event of umass device?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Mar 18 16:28:13 PST 2004

:This is the first time I'm actually trying out a DragonFlyBSD live CD
:(2004-03-17b), and I like it so far.
:
:When I plug it in, I get the "attached" message (and kernel log
:messages). When I pull out the stick, usbd doesn't seem to notice,
:although there is a kernel log message:

    Hmm.  All the FreeBSD revs I checked comment out the event generation
    for the detach event in usb_subr.c.  When I look at the same code in
    NetBSD it is not commented out.

    It looks like when FreeBSD synched the USB code in rev 1.22 (FreeBSD
    repository) of /usr/src/sys/dev/usb/usb_subr.c when they incorporated
    it from NetBSD.

    NetBSD fixed the bug by NULLing out the pointer that was pointing to
    the freed memory.  I will incorporate NetBSD's bug fix and re-enable
    the DETACH event in a few moments after I finish testing the fix.