Daemon's Advocate article

Dave Leimbach leimySPAM2k at mac.com
Tue Mar 2 06:43:20 PST 2004

Matthew Dillon <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> :Egads!  Matt, put down the painkillers!!    8-)
> :
> :I can just see it now...  right next to 'page faults', we've got
> :'package faults'.  We could even have a package pager, to
> :automatically do LRU analysis on packages, and delete them when we get
> :tight on space (of course, weighing in the speed of the network
> :connection).
> :
> :
> :--
> :Matthew Fuller     (MF4839)   |  fullermd at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>    And 'pkglock' to lock a package in so it isn't deleted by the LRU.
>
>    Really, though, I think this might be a great idea whos time has come.
>    Kinda like having an NFS mount over the internet, but with added security
>    (local MD5 file for comparisons, multiple servers, load distribution, etc).
>
>    Perfect for a userland VFS.

As long as you provide it with a default -i option so I have to confirm each
package installation, and for the very "google I'm feeling lucky" button crowd
you could configure it to do a -f.

Also I think this is a neat idea if I can have a "package server" on my LAN
which is queried to find the package so I don't have to go out to the
Internet for all package files.

For something the size of FreeBSD ports that could be a few TBs perhaps, 1
for KDE, 1 for GNOME and the rest for everyone else :)

I wonder if Apple has tested that XServe RAID on FreeBSD :).

Dave