postfix causes hangs

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Jun 26 01:44:26 PDT 2004

    Rob, I have committed a change to kern/kern_lockf.c that puts a very
    short wait in the lockf retry loop in an attempt to prevent the system
    from locking up when it gets into this livelock.

    I don't think this will actually fix the problem (or at least I hope
    it doesn't).  I am instead hoping that it will be possible to ktrace
    the processes involved and/or otherwise track the problem down when
    it occurs without the whole machine going down.

						-Matt

:Hello,
:
:  I've experienced periodic hangs on my system for
:sice mid-May.  Lately, my terminal is unresponsive as
:soon as I start postfix and receive incoming mail.
:When I drop into DDB,  the stack trace shows:
:
:scgetc()
:sckbdevent()
:atkbd_intr()
:atkbd_isa_intr()
:intr_mux()
:ithread_handler()
:(Perhaps this is  ctl-alt-esc trace)
:
:This is with a kernel/world built June 23rd.  I
:*think* the problem is somewhere in the lockf code
:because I glanced at 'ps' from DDB. Also, I'm using
:procmail for local delivery, so that's also a
:possibility.  Sorry for the sparse information.  I'm
:trying to get more data for you..
:
:Thanks,
: