one of recent commits seems to cure memory leak in modlogan (same problem present in freebsd 5.2.1)

Alexander Leidinger reject at Leidinger.net
Tue Jun 1 03:26:40 PDT 2004

On Mon, 31 May 2004 20:50:46 +0200
Toma_ Bor_tnar <tomaz.borstnar at xxxxxxxx> wrote:

[posted & mailed, please let us continue off-list]

> > A recent modlogan is more memory friendly, and since it uses expat2 it
> > also depends on changes in expat. Are you sure you haven't noticed some
> > change in modlogan/expat2?
> I use modlogan for some time, but every now and then I use it to process
> big (historical) files. Since production machines were running FreeBSD I
> used Dfly test machine which was killing modlogan with "out of memory"
> (with almost 30 000 000 lines of log). I tried the same on FreeBSD 5.2.1
> and with same results. Then I recompiled kernel to let apps use up to
> 768MB of memory and modlogan was able to finish most of logfiles. With
> one of recent commits these same logfiles take less than 50 megs of RAM
> when running. I used same 0.8.11 (from same ports system!) on both systems.

Since there are some fixes in the FreeBSD VM too, can you test with a
recent -current too? If not, can you provide a "bzip2 -9" version of
your large logfile?

Bye,
Alexander.

--
           I'm available to get hired (preferred in .lu).