SMP support via ACPI

glennpj at charter.net glennpj at charter.net
Sat Jul 17 12:13:23 PDT 2004

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 04:18:30PM -0700, Matthew Dillon wrote:

> :I compile the kernel with "device acpica5" too and it don=B4t work.
> :
> :I have similar problems with FreeBSD 4.x, but in 5.x (5.2 and
> :onwards) it works because the kernel can wake up with MP Table or
> :ACPI Table.
> :
> :Are there any work in progress on this subject ? Any workaround ?.
> :
> :Thanks for all, and sorry for my bad english.
> :
> :--=20 Jacobo Arvelo "UNIX4ALL"
>
>     This is something we will definitely be porting from FreeBSD-5
>     (along with the multi-pass interrupt routing code), though the
>     timing of the work is a bit unclear.  You should be able to run UP
>     in the meantime, though.  But, yes, the intention is to support
>     this and to also support consolidated UP/MP builds so the same
>     kernel can run on APIC and non-APIC boxes.
>
>     (and, as always, if there are any developers interesting in doing
>     such work, its there waiting for you!)

Just curious here. As of about two, maybe three weeks ago, I was able
to boot DragonFly on my P4 HT machine with an SMP kernel.  I just did a
fresh install of DragonFly BSD 1.0A and now can not boot an SMP kernel.
Was there a "simple" change that caused this that could perhaps be
reverted or was it a major sub-system import that will require much more
work?

--
Glenn Johnson