Floppies?

Sarunas V. vsarunas at eircom.net
Mon Jul 12 01:55:09 PDT 2004

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 04:38:47 -0400, user wrote:

Hi,
> I have a machine that requires floppies to boot (to install from CD).
> However, this system actually has 1.0-CURRENT installed (around July
> 1st).  Is there a way to run the installer from CD after the system has
> booted, since there appear to be no floppies available?  Thanks,

I'm not fully sure where the installer is located in a CD, but I'm pretty
sure that you can.

There are another two ways in which you can lunch the installer:

1. Go to your BIOS, and set your first boot device to cdrom. With some
   BIOS'es you even don't have to do that, you can just  press F11 as for
   my BIOS, your one may vary.

2. If your BIOS doesn't support booting from cdrom, you can download

ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/slackware/slackware-10.0/rootdisks/sbootmgr.dsk

   Then "#dd if=sbootmgr.dsk of=/dev/fd0" to add it to floppy. Reboot the
   machine, insert the floppy so it can be read of and loaded after POST.
   Choose the option to boot from CD-ROM, dfly will be loaded from a CD,
   then install it.

Hope that helps,

Kind Regards,

--