syscall-msg emulation layer help

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sat Jul 17 16:29:01 PDT 2004

:>     The general idea is to have a kernel-managed 'emulation layer' space
:>     that is up in kernel memory and managed by the kernel but is also
:>     read/exec from userland.
:yeah, but how can userspace access to kernelmemory without calling
:interrupts? messaging interface is kernel related only, isn't it?
:>     'Newer' programs would be aware of this space and be able to call into
:>     it directly.  So in the sense of DFly-native programs, the emulation
:>     layer would act more like a shared library (though in reality it would
:>     not be).
:>
:i got it, but can you tell me some more about not-native programs?
:should the emulation layer provide for translate int0x80 requests into
:syscall-msgs style? it's a real fogged point in my head :(
:>     Since the emulation space would be using the messaging interface, it
:>     would be thread-safe.
:that's great
:
:Thanks in advance!

    There is a separate syscall messaging entry into the kernel.  The idea
    is that the intermediate layer will convert the call to a message
    and dispatch via the syscall messaging entry point to the kernel.
    Right now the kernel is processing normal syscalls and doing
    the conversion itself.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>