Floppies?

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Mon Jul 12 10:53:53 PDT 2004

On Mon, 12 Jul 2004 12:42:36 -0400
Walter Venable <weaseal at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Sarunas V. wrote:
> > ftp://carroll.cac.psu.edu/pub/linux/distributions/slackware/slackware-10.0/rootdisks/sbootmgr.dsk
>
> The Slackware boot disk didn't seem to help.  When I told it to use
> the CDRom drive, it just said "Disk error 0x01."  The CD was in the
> drive.

Sorry, think-o on my part in the last message...

If that link above is a Smart Boot Manager floppy, try waiting a second
after it gives you the disk error, and try again.  Sometimes it doesn't
seem to init right on the first pass.

If that isn't a Smart Boot Manager floppy, you can get one here:

http://catseye.mine.nu:8080/DragonFlyBSD/installer/boot/cdboot.flp.bz2

Or you can go to the project's website:

http://btmgr.sourceforge.net/

and download a tool which will create a floppy from Windows or Linux.

If all else fails, in situations like these, it's probably easiest to
swap the HDD into another more modern computer, install on that, and
swap the drive back in (make sure you get the fstab right before putting
it back in though...)  Or, if the CD-ROM drive is proprietary, swap that
out for a more modern CD-ROM drive.

-Chris