Initial impressions of DFly

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Jul 8 09:12:11 PDT 2004

:> There is currently a problem with the responsiveness e.g. of X apps when
:> the disk load is very high. It seems the scheduling needs some tweaking,
:> but noone did that yet.
:>
:on my system (athlon xp 2000, 256MB, udma33) when extracting tarballs with
:lots of files X was sometimes totally blocked until the extraction was
:finished.

    This is a known problem and I will fix it after the release, but there
    is no time before the release to address the issue.

:2nd show-stopper: on DFly RC1 I was unable to build /devel/fam as dependancy
:of XFree. pkg_add -r workedso that I could continue to build X.
:

    Well, that isn't really a show stopper.  The X ports are in flux and
    while we might be able to hack in some fixes temporarily, I think
    ultimately we need to get our own packaging system working to really
    make solid builds out of it.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>