Problem Booting RC1 CD - VMware

Dylan A. Reinhold dylan at ocnetworking.com
Mon Jul 5 19:31:09 PDT 2004

Ivan Voras wrote:

Dylan A. Reinhold wrote:

I installed VMware 4.5.2 on my laptop, I was able to install FreeBSD
4.9 fine. When I went to install DF, the RC1 disk stops at "Waiting
15 seconds for SCSI devices to settle". So I did the FreeBSD -> DF
upgrade,

It's best to use IDE disk emulation with vmware & the BSDs. I don't
know if SCSI disk emulation is the default in 4.5, but on 4.0, when
using custom mode (without really customizing anything...), I usually
end up with the IDE emulation.
It was set with IDE emulation, and to make sure I created another VM to
make sure, same problem. FreeBSD - 4.9 still boots fine.
I was able to install FreeBSD -> DF upgrade and remove all SCSI options
from the kernel and it will boot now.

With some help I got some output from the debugger. This is from the
RC-1 disk.
http://dragonfly.ocnetworking.com/screen/scsi_lockup.bmp

Thanks,
Dylan