Heads up: resident executable support added

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Wed Jan 21 13:14:18 PST 2004

:At 6:20 PM -0800 1/20/04, Matthew Dillon wrote:
:>     Update on resident executable support.  It seems to be
:>     working very well, I am seeing one possible bug in ...
:
:Let me say that I think this is a very cool change to make!  I'll
:have to try firing up dragonfly sometime to try it out.
:
:--
:Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    Yah.  I also think it uncovered some VM bugs.  Since resident causes
    the kernel to basically do the equivalent of a fork off the registered
    vmspace every time you exec a resident'd program, the result is that
    the system is doing a lot more fork-like behavior then it would normally.
    Usually only services like sendmail fork.  This exercises the more
    obscure features of the VM system a lot more, and I am getting
    occassional user process faults in my buildworld tests when I
    make /usr/bin/* resident.

    I'm tracking it down.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>