Background fsck

Michel Talon talon at lpthe.jussieu.fr
Tue Jan 20 23:35:13 PST 2004

Chris Pressey <cpressey at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
news:20040119112551.2af92c0a.cpressey at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:

> My own opinion is that the "speed-up-recovery-after-a-crash" thing,
> while apparently a very sexy problem for filesystem programmers to
> tackle, is going to become more and more of a non-problem as UPS's
> become more and more consumer-friendly.

You are simply forgetting that the crash may occur for a completely
different reason than power failure, for example crash of the kernel.
It occurred to me once that i removed sound module from my freebsd box
which paniced immediately. Unfortunately this may have been in the middle
of updating the superblock and at reboot fsck was unable to correct the
situation and asked for a copy of the superblock. Still more unfortunately
the first backup was corrupt also, and i had to find another good one.