Benchmark (was: Re: Junior kernel hacking)

Rahul Siddharthan rsidd at online.fr
Wed Jan 14 19:49:39 PST 2004

Jean-Marc Zucconi said on Jan 15, 2004 at 04:09:39:

>  >     Be sure to compile 5.x without DIAGNOSTIC, INVARIANTS,
>  >     or WITNESS.  Be sure that the kernel is being compiled -O.
>  >     Doubly be sure that WITNESS support is not on.  INVARIANTS
>  >     and WITNESS *are* turned on in 5.x's GENERIC.
>
> I don't have any of those options. Here is my config file. I use more
> or less the same config file in all cases.

In addition to other suggestions, I found on my old machine that
configuring an /etc/malloc.conf made a huge difference with
5.0-CURRENT (otherwise its performance was much worse than 4.x).
I used

/etc/malloc.conf -> H<

I believe this should make a difference only if the machine is low on
memory, which perhaps your machine is, since it's old.

Rahul