Background fsck

Rahul Siddharthan rsidd at free.fr
Thu Jan 22 10:58:52 PST 2004

Dan Melomedman wrote:
> Gary Thorpe wrote:
>
> > I think ext3 would be easiest (ext2 is already available across the
> > BSD's), but not technically the best. I think ReiserFS wants to grow
> > into a database or some unified name space so..... What I would be
> > interested to know if implementing some of them under a BSD license
> > might peeve the original owners?
>
> Can't do it with ReiserFS (License? Documentation?) since they want to
> be paid to port it.

I think the question was about reimplementing it (fresh code), like
NetBSD's BSD-licensed implementation of ext2fs.

If you write your own filesystem code that can read and write to
ext3/reiserfs/etc, I doubt there are legal hurdles.  One would need
to be very careful not to copy any of the  original code (eg, one
person reads the original code and writes out "specifications"
and the other sits in a clean room and implements the specifications
without ever looking at the original code).  NetBSD's ext2fs code
is actually modified ufs code, they say the filesystems are not
terribly different.  But some of these filesystems (especially
reiser) are moving targets and keeping up with them from a fresh
codebase wouldn't be fun.  I doubt it's worth the trouble, but if
someone does a good job of it I'm sure it will be welcomed.

Rahul