Benchmark (was: Re: Junior kernel hacking)

Jean-Marc Zucconi jmz at dalai-zebu.org
Wed Jan 14 19:10:53 PST 2004

 >     Be sure to compile 5.x without DIAGNOSTIC, INVARIANTS,
 >     or WITNESS.  Be sure that the kernel is being compiled -O.
 >     Doubly be sure that WITNESS support is not on.  INVARIANTS
 >     and WITNESS *are* turned on in 5.x's GENERIC.

I don't have any of those options. Here is my config file. I use more
or less the same config file in all cases.

Jean-Marc

machine		i386
cpu		I486_CPU
cpu		I586_CPU
cpu		I686_CPU
ident		WORM
maxusers	32
hints		"WORM.hints"
options 	FFS			#Berkeley Fast Filesystem
options         NFSCLIENT               #Network Filesystem Client
options         NFSSERVER               #Network Filesystem Server
options 	CD9660			#ISO 9660 Filesystem
options 	PROCFS			#Process filesystem
options         PSEUDOFS                #Pseudo-filesystem framework
options 	NULLFS
options         INCLUDE_CONFIG_FILE     # Include this file in kernel
options 	SOFTUPDATES		#Enable FFS soft updates support
options 	INET			#InterNETworking
options 	INET6			#IPv6 communications protocols
options         IPSEC
options         IPSEC_ESP
options 	COMPAT_43		#Compatible with BSD 4.3 [KEEP THIS!]
options 	MD_ROOT			#MD is a potential root device
options 	SCSI_DELAY=8000		#Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
options 	KTRACE			#ktrace(1) support
options 	SYSVSHM			#SYSV-style shared memory
options 	SYSVMSG			#SYSV-style message queues
options 	SYSVSEM			#SYSV-style semaphores
options 	_KPOSIX_PRIORITY_SCHEDULING
options 	KBD_INSTALL_CDEV	# install a CDEV entry in /dev
options         SHMALL=1025
options         SHMMAXPGS=1025
options         SHMMAX="(SHMMAXPGS*PAGE_SIZE+1)"
options         SHMMIN=2
options         SHMMNI=256
options         SHMSEG=128
options         NETGRAPH
options         NETGRAPH_PPPOE
options         NETGRAPH_ETHER
options         COMPAT_LINUX
options         COMPAT_FREEBSD4         #Compatible with FreeBSD4
options         SCHED_4BSD              #4BSD scheduler
options         COMPAT_AOUT             # Enable i386 a.out binary support
device          random
# To make an SMP kernel, the next two are needed
options 	SMP			# Symmetric MultiProcessor Kernel
device		apic			# Symmetric (APIC) I/O
device		isa
device		pci
device		fdc
device		ata
device		atadisk			# ATA disk drives
device		atapicd			# ATAPI CDROM drives
options 	ATA_STATIC_ID		#Static device numbering
# SCSI Controllers
device		ahc		# AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx devices
device		amd		# AMD 53C974 (Tekram DC-390(T))
device		sym		# NCR/Symbios Logic (newer chipsets)
options		SYM_SETUP_LP_PROBE_MAP=0x40
# SCSI peripherals
device		scbus		# SCSI bus (required)
device		da		# Direct Access (disks)
device		sa		# Sequential Access (tape etc)
device		cd		# CD
device		pass		# Passthrough device (direct SCSI access)
# atkbdc0 controls both the keyboard and the PS/2 mouse
device		atkbdc
device		atkbd
device		psm
device		vga
# syscons is the default console driver, resembling an SCO console
device		sc
# Floating point support - do not disable.
device		npx
# Power management support (see LINT for more options)
device		apm
# Serial (COM) ports
device		sio
# Parallel port
device		ppc
device		ppbus		# Parallel port bus (required)
device		lpt		# Printer
device		ppi		# Parallel port interface device
#ethernet
device          miibus
device		ed
device		ep
device		xl
# Pseudo devices - the number indicates how many units to allocate.
device	loop		# Network loopback
device	ether		# Ethernet support
device	ppp		# Kernel PPP
device	tun     	# Packet tunnel.
device	pty		# Pseudo-ttys (telnet etc)
device	md		# Memory "disks"
device	gif		# IPv6 and IPv4 tunneling
device	faith		# IPv6-to-IPv4 relaying (translation)
device  stf             # 6to4 IPv6 over IPv4 encapsulation
device	bpf		#Berkeley packet filter
# USB support
device		uhci		# UHCI PCI->USB interface
device		ohci		# OHCI PCI->USB interface
device		usb		# USB Bus (required)
device		ugen		# Generic
device		uhid		# "Human Interface Devices"
device		ukbd		# Keyboard
device		ulpt		# Printer
device		umass		# Disks/Mass storage - Requires scbus and da
device		ums		# Mouse

--
Jean-Marc Zucconi -- PGP Key: finger jmz at xxxxxxxxxxx [KeyID: 400B38E9]