The Trolling on the freebsd- lists

Ben Laurie ben at algroup.co.uk
Wed Jan 7 07:04:48 PST 2004

Matthew Dillon wrote:
    One thing that is occuring in the FreeBSD community is that quite a
    significant number of developers are doing major pieces of work within
    the tree under contract.  If I recall correctly, the security work and
    GEOM are the two biggest contract funded projects (and not foundation
    funded though perhaps someone closer to these projects can explain
    the actual situation on this list).  At least some of these people are
    core members.
Since I was funded under the same program as at least the security work
was (perhaps GEOM, too), I can tell you a bit about it - the money came
from DARPA, under a program called CHATS (Composable High Assurance
Trusted Systems). The money was made available to improve the security
of free software, and was obtained through an open bidding process just
like any other DARPA funding (which means you have to be big and
American to get it :-).

A similar thing has occurred in Apache and OpenSSL - for example, I am
working on FIPS certification for OpenSSL, and I am being funded
directly to do it. In Apache, many of the projects are substantially
supported by developers working for interested companies. I think this
works much better than funding through the central body - if your job
happens to let you work on free software, then you win and you haven't
hurt anyone else in the project by doing it.

Cheers,

Ben.