Website layout method

Dylan Reinhold dylan at ocnetworking.com
Wed Feb 4 15:09:16 PST 2004

Wesley Moxam wrote:
Justin C. Sherrill wrote:

Something that I thought of while talking with Dylan Reinhold:  The
DragonFly site is somewhat overengineered at this point.  The pages are
created dynamically, but the only direct benefit now is highlighting the
current page.
Eventually  there will be more pages than can be displayed in a side
menu,
so unless there's an upcoming need for program output on every page,
it may
be better to use apache server side includes instead and stick to CGI
when
the page demands it.  Opinions?  Matt, would you be willing to turn on
server side includes?

Since the pages are static, why not write a little script to grab the
cgi output for each page, translate the links from pagename.cgi to
pagename.html then write it to a .html file ....it would take about two
minutes to do and it wouldn't require any additional apache features to
be turned on ...

-- Wes

Yes that would work, but we want to keep the left hand menu in it's own.
so when an item is added or removed you don't have to edit all the web
pages.
Or are you saying to keep the *.cgi pages edit them and recreate the
site after changes are made?

Dylan