Subversion Release Candidate

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai asmodai at wxs.nl
Sun Feb 1 21:55:38 PST 2004

-On [20040202 00:32], Garance A Drosihn (drosih at xxxxxxx) wrote:
>For what it's worth, there is an effort underway to rewrite the
>CVSup client in C.  In fact, there were TWO efforts underway, one
>in C++ and one in C.  The C effort was farther along, so I gave
>up on the C++ rewrite once I found out about the other one.

CVSync has already been tested enough times by myself and Hiroki-san
that we think it is quite up to par with CVSup.  AllBSD.org has offered
this service for over a year, if not longer.  It is written in C.

>I think the goal is to have a "base-system-able" CVSup client
>available (at least for testing) by the time FreeBSD 5.3 is
>released.  Perhaps sooner, if someone was willing to pay to
>underwrite the coding effort.  By "base-system-able", I just
>mean that it will require only C, and it will have a BSD license.
>I think this is just the client though.  People running a CVSup
>server might still need the modula-3 compiler.

CVSync is both a client and a daemon (cvsyncd).  And BSDL'd.

>[I'd also say that I'm also very interested in subversion, and I
>hope to start playing around with it soon, but I would not commit
>any huge repository to it just yet...]

Oh, it works very well, the thing is that you have to think totally
different from what you know and do with CVS.  There's no direct
repository mangling you can do and thus you loose part of the charm and
pain of CVS.

Some people have started to look more at tla (arch) since it apparently
seems more suitable for decentralised development and offers very
advanced merging techniques.  I have only done base level testing of
that thus far.

PGP fingerprint: 2D92 980E 45FE 2C28 9DB7  9D88 97E6 839B 2EAC 625B
http://www.tendra.org/   | http://diary.in-nomine.org/
Think carefully of what you ask for, because you just may get it...