Mailing List Change

Rahul Siddharthan rsidd at online.fr
Fri Feb 6 19:00:53 PST 2004

Matthew Dillon said on Feb  4, 2004 at 22:59:14:
>     This is one of those things that winds up being a wash.  There are
>     probably as many people who get dups (or have other issues) as people
>     who *WANT* replies CC'd to their email address for filtering purposes.
>     It's better to let the user supply a Reply-To: himself, I think.
>
>     The bestserv mailing list program (yes, I wrote it a long time ago
>     while at BEST Internet) keeps the From: intact but strips off and
>     regenerates the To: and Cc: lines.

Yes, come to think of it I noticed it does that.  But I'm not sure
it's optimal because, suppose A, who is not a subscriber, posts; B
replies; C replies to B, a reply that is potentially important to A,
but A doesn't get cc'd because the list has stripped off A's address
in B's reply.

Not sure about dragonfly-kernel, but on a list like freebsd-questions
you definitely do not want this behaviour.

>     This is kinda of a middle-of-the-road
>     solution which requires mailing list users to consider who they Cc,
>     other then the poster, more carefully.

I don't think it does that.  Most people won't think much about the cc:
line and will certainly not keep track of who else had been posting on
that thread or who the original poster was.

Rahul