Description of the Journaling topology

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Dec 28 22:36:21 PST 2004

:...
:>     support the ultimate goal of single-system-image clustering.  The second
:>     leg is a cache coherency scheme, and the third will be resource sharing
:>     and migration.  All three will have to be very carefully and deliberately
:>     integrated together into a single whole to achieve the ultimate goal.
:>
:>     This makes journaling a major turning point for the project... one,
:>     I hope, that attracts more people to DragonFly.
:
:Is that primarily coders or users? For me I want to switch my servers to
:DF but I am kind of waiting for a new release version where only the
:bugs and exploits are updating but no more code is introduced.
:
:I think that overall from what I see on my test server DF is production
:ripe but I'm overly paranoid when dealing with productivity machines.
:
:I'll planned to jump the ship from 4 to DF in July 2005 ( a matter of
:backup and reinstalling the OS) do you think there will be new release
:by then?
:
:--
:mph

    Yes, there will probably be a release in February and probably another
    one just before USENIX (the USENIX timing seems to garner the most
    community interest).

    I understand the issue of release stability and the necessity of
    branching the tree to achieve that.  I'm holding off on that as long
    as possible because the moment we branch the tree we have to start
    dealing with two branches instead of one.  I know we'll have to do it
    eventually, and I can certainly think of ways to reduce the burden
    (i.e. as you say, making the branches bug-fix-only trees instead of
    tested-stable-feature trees).  I definitely have no intention of creating
    parallel development paths, that would be a disaster waiting to happen.

    I don't know *when* we will do our first branch, however.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>