scheduler rewrite

Evan Dower evantd at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 3 10:03:00 PST 2004

--- Matthew Dillon <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

>     I would like to write a second userland
> scheduler that uses a
>     more fair-share methodology with an
> interactivity hint.

That basically sounds like ULE to me. Do you plan to
adapt ULE, make something separate but similar, or
make something separate and radically different? (I
suppose their might be some other in-between options
too.) I was actually somewhat surprised by FreeBSD5's
abandonment of ULE. I had been using it without any
significant problems. Of course, if I was playing
music, it sounded bad when I unpacked big port
tarballs, but that happens with the old scheduler too.
Anyway, I'm just looking for more info about what
you're thinking about for the scheduler.

Thanks,

=====
--
Evan Dower