libdisk

Devon H. O'Dell dodell at sitetronics.com
Mon Dec 13 01:07:04 PST 2004

Jeroen Ruigrok/asmodai wrote:
-On [20041213 08:12], Robert Garrett (rg70 at xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:

The recent removal of sysinstall, reminded me of a discussion that
basically stated the only consumer of libdisk was sysinstall.
I am doing a makworld now with libdisk disabled, and if everything is
clean will remove it, provided there are no objections.

There is some work going on with a libdisk new/next generation, not sure if
that updates this code or if it is a completely new work.
This was Eirik's work and it was completely new work. We were going to
use it for the installer, but it wasn't necessary (the livecd platform
had all the necessary disk tools), so its development has been stalled.
I personally wouldn't mind seeing it be developed further; it'd be nice
to have serious partitioning software. I'd help but I don't know
anything about harddrive geometry, partitions, filesystems, and how they
work together.

If someone wants to give me a crash course, I'll see what I can do, but
I fear I'll cause a few crashes as well.

Kind regards,

Devon H. O'Dell