vmmeter.h and problems with multiple ports

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Sun Apr 18 17:17:39 PDT 2004

:I can fix a few simple and obvious errors and get such programs
:to compile partly, but it's just a bit beyond my reach to fix
:the whole thing.
:
:I'm just curious about the changes in vmmeter.h.  Are these
:changes really necessary?  Would it prevent dfBSD from progressing
:if these data structures were put back the way they were, at
:least for the near future until there are more ports maintainers
:to fix the problems with the popular ports?
:
:Thanks, and keep up the good work.

    Yah, that's the way it goes.  There is a definite demarcation between
    kernelland structures and userland structures, and utilities which
    delve into kernelland structures are virtually guarenteed to break
    when a system is overhauled as we are doing with DragonFly.  Things
    like vmmeter go through big changes as new features are added to the
    system and some old ones are removed.  It really isn't possible,
    nor desireable, to limit the changes being made to the system on
    the basis of third party statistical OS reporting utilities.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>