nvidia machdep.c patch still useful ?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Apr 6 22:48:23 PDT 2004

:Hrm.  What is the FS segment standardly used for, if anything?
:
:I'm familiar with Win32's use of it as a per-thread data area.  For
:example, "mov eax, fs:[0]" is a common instruction emitted by Win32
:compilers when setting up exception handlers.  This caused some problems
:with WINE when some (versions of) OSes would trash FS.

    %fs cannot be set to anything useful by userland, at least I don't
    think it can.  %gs can be set to a user-defined custom segment.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>