New brainfart for threaded VFS and data passing between threads.

Chris Pressey cpressey at catseye.mine.nu
Mon Apr 5 12:30:12 PDT 2004

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 12:08:01 -0700 (PDT)
Matthew Dillon <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>     Forth is unreadable and unmaintainable.

I have a theory that Forth is more readable for someone whose native
language has SOV (or OSV) word order.  Ironically, colorForth is
heavily biased towards English (which has SVO word order) with it's
letter-frequency Huffman encoding.  Oh well.  I agree that trying to
maintain a non-trivial Forth program gives me a whopping headache.
Sometimes semicolons and parentheses are *nice* things to have.

. ..

On Mon, 5 Apr 2004 14:14:02 -0400
Dan Melomedman <dan at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Wouldn't it be great to have a lean mean OS written in Forth?

Well, Forth already is, sort of.  To quote Chuck Moore himself:

"With the huge RAM of modern computers, an operating system is no longer
necessary, if it ever was.  colorForth includes multi-tasking, and
drivers for essential devices.  But that is hardly an operating system
in the style of Windows or Linux."

-Chris