pipe testing and kernel copyin/copyout/bcopy performance

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Thu Apr 29 00:24:05 PDT 2004

    Just to let people know, in case anyone is wondering why I have been so
    quiet lately :-)

    I've been running some major pipe benchmarks to compare various pipe
    optimizations as part of a paper (FreeBSD's) Alan Cox and I are writing.

    At the same time I've delved deeply into the AMD64 and have been working
    on optimizing the kernel bcopy, memcpy, copyin, and copyout to use
    XMM instructions when possible.

    I hope to have something committable by tomorrow.