Ports & Pkg Mgr

James Frazer jfrazer at ieee.org
Sat Sep 27 22:28:45 PDT 2003

> Joerg Sonnenberger wrote up a nice bit on a porting system using the
> VFS features that Matt Dillon is planning:
A very interesting read, but my impression was that this would seem to
be more useful for the package manager than the port system (assuming
the port system does not install the binaries, etc, on it's own).  As
far as the darwin-ports system goes I believe you can have dports build
packages -- which can then, in theory, be handed over to your pkg
manager to be dealt with (although I could be wrong).

To me it makes more sense to keep the two stages seperate.  Let the
ports system do what it's good at -- building ports -- and in this
[hypothetical] case turning them into packages.  While letting the
package manager do what it's good at -- installing the package and
dealing with the nitty gritty library problems, etc.  These are just my
opinions, they could be horribly wrong in the eyes of another.  I'll
resist the temptation to draw any crude ascii flowcharts.

> There's also the general open source project answer - DIYODS, or Do It
> Your Own (Darn) Self.  Boot DragonFly BSD, head over to
> http://www.opendarwin.org/projects/darwinports/ and start messing with
> it.  If it turns out to work relatively easily, that's a good argument
> nobody's made yet...
I'll have to see if my college wants to donate a computer to the cause :-)

-James