Prebinding for DragonFly/FreeBSD-4

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Tue Sep 23 09:23:52 PDT 2003

    Was this conversation started on the list in the middle?  I seem to
    have missed the context.

    Could someone give a quick overview of the use of serial ATA in
    FreeBSD/DragonFly?  I know that the ATA driver has gone through several
    incarnations.  We are using incarnation #2 in DragonFly (the same as
    4.8), while FreeBSD-5 is now on incarnation #3 (and having serious issues
    with it).  There was a lot of breakage between incarnation #1 (the wd
    drivers) and #2, and between #2 and #3, which to me means that we have
    to stick with what we have now and try to fix it verses, say, trying to
    import the new infrastructure from FreeBSD-5.

    The error below sounds like a DMA problem.

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

:Ok I got the 9/22 snapshot
:and it fails to boot beyond the following:
:
:ad0: 38166MB <WDC WD400BB-00DGA0> [77545/16/63] at ata0-master BIOSDMA
:WARNING: "ad" is usurping "ad"'s cdevsw[]
:ad1: READ command timeout tag=0 serv=0 - resetting
:ata0: resetting devices ..
:
:and then it hangs.  I am sure its the SATA or something related to the
:  NForce2 IDE controller causing this havoc.
:
:Dave