Anyone protecting the stack?

Pedro Giffuni giffunip at asme.org
Thu Sep 18 21:54:54 PDT 2003

Hiten Pandya wrote:
. ..

>         ... I am understanding right and per the research I have done
>         previously on non-exec stacks, it seems JIT compilers and the
>         new Perl interpreter do not support this, although, I maybe a
>         little outdated on this information.
>
>         If it can be done without harming any functionality, it will be
>         great!

The OpenBSD guys claim they only had problems with Emacs and that they found a
workaround. Yes the JIT Java may be a problem, but the feature can be
disabled.

The i386 case is a hack, but even so, it's still worth it: there are many
environments where you don't need a JIT compiler. I understand the NetBSD
people are waiting for the new binutils update before they go into deeper
waters.

About VMware, well... I just double boot, it's a lot faster.

    Pedro.