Prebinding for DragonFly/FreeBSD-4

Sander Vesik sander at haldjas.folklore.ee
Wed Sep 17 10:50:09 PDT 2003

Matthew Dillon <dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>    More substantial programs showed some improvement.  'convert' (from
>    the ImageMagic port), which uses 15 shared libraries, was able to do
>    100 fork/exec's on my EPIA test box in 3.82 seconds instead
>    of 6.09 seconds.  Still, the difference is only 38ms of overhead verses
>    60ms of overhead per exec.

C libraries?

>    I think the code in the patch is excellent, but I am not convinced that
>    prebinding is worth doing.  Are there arguments for doing
>    the prebinding other then performance?  Maybe someone could measure
>    startup times for something huge, like KDE, with and without prebinding.

Its not so much a function of number of libraries than number of symbols, if
you use lazy binding, then number of symbols used at start up. so c++ is
usualy more affected than c. mozilla / openoffice.org might be better test
cases - possibly even abiword/gnumeric.

--
	Sander

+++ Out of cheese error +++