sysinstall v2

Richard Coleman richardcoleman at mindspring.com
Wed Sep 3 17:50:21 PDT 2003

Matthew Dillon wrote:

    Hmm.  There are both positive and negative aspects in regards to
    Zope.  On the positive side it might be able to replace Apache and
    it would leverage the already discussed Python.  On the negative side
    it is fairly complex and hefty... 18MB in /usr/local/www/Zope.

    The real question in regards to zope is... has anyone on our list
    used it and if you have, what is your opinion on using it to write
    an installer and/or package manager?  Also, does it have a complete
    enough web server to completely replace Apache or would it be better
    to run it *under* Apache?

					<dillon at xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Zope is a full web server, so it could replace apache.  In production
situations, it is usually hidden behind a proxy (typical application
server type design).  But since speed is not really an issue here, that
would be unnecessary.

The problem with Zope is that it is fairly complex.  But it does have a
ton of cool features.

Since I'm still getting a handle on what you have in mind, I can't
comment on whether Zope or apache is better suited.

Richard Coleman
richardcoleman at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx