sysinstall v2

David Rhodus drhodus at catpa.com
Wed Sep 3 16:18:23 PDT 2003

On Wednesday, September 3, 2003, at 07:08 PM, Matthew Dillon wrote:
	rsync, definitely.  cfengine, probably not.  ppp is already part
	of the base system.
	Another thing comes to mind in regards the installation options...
	simply having DHCP+sshd running can be very useful.  The new
	installer (lets not call it sysinstall v2, please! I hate sysinstall).
	Er.  The new installer ought to have a single-press option to get
	an IP with DHCP and run sshd, and it should generate a random root
	password and present both the random root password and the IP address
	on the console/web-page/whatever.  The same password could be used
	for web-enabled installation.  I am not overly concerned with security
	at installation time but I don't want the machine to be left wide open
	when you select any of the network options either.
Why not forget DHCP as it needs to die anyways and look at
Rendevous/zeroconf
functionality added not just to the installer but all together....

-DR