SLOTs (Re: Package system)

Klaus-J. Wolf yanestra at example.com
Tue Sep 2 14:20:13 PDT 2003

ibotty wrote:
back in the days, when I was using gentoo, i found slots very useful.
I still like them... but! when you track an unstable portage branch, those
slots are not always enough. Sometimes, you end up with package A, that
needs B in slot 1 (-> B[1]), but is incompatible with B Version 1.1, which
is also in slot 1.
I am thinking aloud... What about a virtual file system that is a mere
projection of one or more physical file systems...?

I have been busy on developing such a thing under Linux months ago,
until the money supply dried off.