new sysinstall

Richard Coleman richardcoleman at mindspring.com
Mon Sep 1 16:06:48 PDT 2003

G065363 at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <20030901144956.GA8023 at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> <200309011613.h81GDt0C099442 at xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Matthew Dillon wrote:
>     Tcl/Tk should probably be discarded.  We can't use the X interfacing
>     because, well, it requires X and we are dedicated to a web environment
>     now, and Tcl duplicates enough of PHP4's functionality that if we are
>     going to select any language as the backend to the PHP4 pages I would
>     rather it be an OO language.

I'll through out one other possibility to consider.  Use tcl (not tk)
together with tclhttpd.  This is a web server written entirely in tcl.
It is small, modular, easy to extend, and is plenty fast enough for the
purpose discussed.  It is commonly used for embedding a webserver such
as this.  If anyone is interested, they should check Brent Welch's book
for more information on tclhttpd.

And I believe the entire tcl installation, together with tclhttpd is
smaller than Apache.

That would kill two birds with one stone.

Richard Coleman
richardcoleman at xxxxxxxxxxxxxx