Anybody working on removing sendmail from base?

Matthew Dillon dillon at apollo.backplane.com
Fri Sep 26 11:40:11 PDT 2003

    The way I envision mail replacement is to create an 'API' through
    an RCNG script which 'mail system ports' would have to conform to.

    So, for example, we could have an /etc/rc.d/mtas/ directory and a
    /usr/local/etc/rc.d/mtas/ dierctory which mail system 'ports' would
    install into.  We would then have an /etc/rc.d/mail RCNG script which
    interfaces RC variables with the various mail systems.

    E.G.

    cd /usr/ports/..../sendmail23.3
    make; make install
    (/usr/local/etc/rc.d/mtas/sendmail23 would be installed)

    (our /etc/rc.d/mtas/ would then automatically recognize RC variables
    begining with: mta_sendmail23_*)

    This is just an example of how it could work.  In anycase, this would
    provide a migration path for sendmail to leave the base system because
    the RCNG support could be worked on right now, without removing sendmail,
    then the sendmail port could be modified to use the new API and tested
    (by using mta_sendmailXXX_* RC variables and turning off the base sendmail
    with the original RC variables), and then as a final step sendmail
    could be removed from the base system).